Sunday, October 6, 2019

Week 1 Narrative Writing


This week’s session was particularly focused on the narrative genre of writing. Some classmates voiced their poor efficacy in teaching narrative as opposed to being a superb and proficient narrative writer. This was a fair point made because we are expected to not only be good at writing stories but also to be  phenomenal in using different strategies in getting students to compose a good narrative piece eventually. We revisited the main elements of a story such as setting, plot, point of view, theme, problem, climax and resolution; all of which were refreshed through a brainstorming activity during the introduction of the concept. One resonating factor which was new to my group was the development of the characters. We learnt that a character can be developed and expressed in four main domains namely feelings, actions, speech and thoughts. Hence, the acronym FAST. Another acronym “STEAL” was introduced to us. “STEAL” represents speech, thoughts, emotions, action and looks. We have never really thought of characters being different in those domains rather because we focused primarily on the physical differences and personality differences between characters. Perhaps further sessions on analyzing the various characters of narrative texts would assist us in getting a deeper and broader understanding of how characters are varied in many domains and possibly representing this information using a graphic organizer of choice. Figure 1.0 below illustrates the analysis of characterization through internal and external categories. Outside would comprise physical traits, i.e. what we see. Inside would comprise thoughts, actions and feelings.



16 comments:

  1. Thank you for this bit of information. I believe I was absent from class the day that the acronyms "STEAL" and "FAST". I had no idea that characters can be developed in domains and that thoughts, emotions and actions all help develop and dictate your story's characters. This has prompted the sudden urge in me to conduct additional research to revisit this concept which I missed.

    Written by: Ylet Jn.Baptiste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased that you are motivated to research further after reading our blog.It speaks to not just the physical characteristics of the character but also a bit deeper into the personality. This gives the reader a more vivid understanding of the characters that were developed.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your ability to record what stood out for you during the lesson while providing future readers with new information,is quite commendable. Similarly to you, I also came into this session with no knowledge of these acronyms as I was never taught any of them in my time at school. Looking back, the norm was to simply have students to describe the physical and emotional characteristics of the characters. However, the FAST acronym allows students to think of characters in much more detail, to facilitate a more elaborate description.

    With regards to your picture above, I believe that it is a brilliant way of getting students to describe a character.

    Excellent post DTEEA Bloggers. Keep up the good work!

    Written by: Shaquille Aldonza

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shaquille. We too were under the impression that a character is limited to the physical or the emotional aspects. The FAST acronym is something to keep in mind when describing characters the next time you write a narrative piece.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for enlightening us. The FAST and STEAL acronyms will really assist students in generating more intricate details to develop amazing characters to add flair to their stories. The illustration featured will better aid students in the development of their characters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your compliment is acknowledge. I also think that the image enhances the information that was presented and it can also be used when teaching narrative writing. Students will be better able to see how the different aspects of characterization are built effectively.

      Delete
  5. I must say the illustration complimented your blog post. This was very well articulated . I must add the acronyms STEAL and FAST were new to me. Having learnt it, it will be effective when teaching writing in the classroom. A good use of characterization always leads the readers or audience to relate better to the events taking place in the story

    Nasha John

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that you feel this way Nasha. Too many times we forget the personality and mannerism of an individual and so we vaguely describe them by just focusing on the physical characteristics. Perhaps, they may have a scent or a unique way of eating. All of this make the description of a person vivid!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I applaud this post as it is very informative. This reinforced what was done at class and it reminded me of the STEAL and FAST acronyms. After writing my narrative piece, i came across this blog. I had to go back to my piece because i did not include STEAL when developing my characters. Thank you for that.
    The picture also made it easier for me to visualize how i should bring out my characters in my story. The post is very well put together, and i would like to encourage others to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy that you can find meaning in this post Duayne.

      Delete
  8. A well written post that truly captures the gist of what was taught during this session. Like my colleagues, the introduction of FAST and STEAL were the highlight of the session as it is what cemented our understanding of what makes a descriptive stand out. I look forward to what comes next. Keep posting!

    --Brittany H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the words of encouragement Brittany.

      Delete
  9. This piece was very informative as it enlightened and reinforced what was done in class. The acronym name "STEAL , FAST" was very unfamiliar to me. Learning this serves as a head start for me as an educator and looking forward to introduce and model these acronym names to my students so they can improve on their narrative pieces writing.Beverley Martie

    ReplyDelete
  10. This piece was clearly expressed. Good job team. The acronyms FAST and STEAL were both new to me. Gaining this pool of knowledge will certainly be of great professional relevance to me when I get back into the classroom during my writing lessons to help my students develop their characters.

    ReplyDelete

Closing Remarks

Closing Remarks  The LIT Bloggers would like to take this opportunity to thank our Course Lecturer and fellow colleagues for viewing a...